Have it your way. Think different. Don’t leave home without it.
What does this tagline say about Evian’s customers?
What do all of these have in common? They are famous taglines companies have developed and marketed which, when spoken or read, immediately evoke brand recognition (in these instances, Burger King, Apple Computers and American Express, respectively.).
When starting a new business or re-branding an existing company, coming up with a tagline that’s just right can be a daunting task. When I was trying to think of a tag line for my business, I was tempted to play on my last name, Blaes (pronounced “blaze.”). I could actually visualize the potential tag lines: “Blaze past your competition. Blaze the trail…”
While these phrases were what a fellow colleague described as “cute,” it did not convey the image I wanted to portray. Did any of these tag lines communicate what services I would be providing or the end result a potential client would have by working with me? The answer was clear: no.
If you decide to have a tag line for your business – and it is by no means a requirement – here are some tips to help you craft the perfect catch-phrase.
• Beware of being too cutesy or using clichés. Having a jazzy tag line is fine, but if it’s “over-done,” it just becomes a distraction. When thinking about your tagline, consider if it describes what you do or, more importantly, how your clients will benefit from hiring you.
• Avoid any words in your tagline that may be construed as negative, racy, etc.
• Brainstorm, brainstorm, brainstorm…BUT try not to over-think it. Oftentimes, the best ideas come when one is not stressed about finding “the perfect tagline.”
• Research to ensure the tagline you would like has not been taken or trademarked. If it is, prepare to do some more brainstorming.
• Remember KISS (keep it simple, silly!). Come up with a tagline that is easy to say, easy to remember and does not have an excessive amount of syllables.
• Finally, think about the long-term. A tagline is most likely something you are going to keep for the life of your business and will be marketing for years to come.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-29841923-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'blaescommunications.com']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);